Katie Rhodes and Bethany Garretson share the gear and essentials they brought on their record-breaking thru-hike of the 46 High Peaks this fall.
Although the pair had a goal of doing the trip faster than anyone else, they both noted the trip is about experiencing the wilderness and figuring out the logistic challenges that go into planning such an expedition. Garretson noted that you’re not moving fast when you’re carrying a backpack filled with gear, including food and sleeping equipment. It’s not on the same level as someone trail running or even speed hiking. It’s about pace, endurance, grit and planning.
“We took our time, enjoyed summits, and camp,” Garettson said. “It was a week of camping. Got to see each sunrise and sunset, listen to the owls, you are immersed in nature and that’s exactly what has drawn me to it for years.”
Here’s what they brought with them:
- Emergency Gear: Personal cell phones, fully charged and kept off until bushwhack or summit with service, face masks, pain meds, first aid kits.
- Water System: Water bottles and iodine
- Bethany’s Personal Gear: La Sportiva Raptors trail shoes, three pairs of socks, ankle tape, MP3 player, pack, ground pad, sleeping bag (40 degree option with tent), liner, lightweight pants, lightweight shirt, bra, underwear (one extra pair), rain shell, fleece, wipes, headlamp (fresh batteries, plus three extra sets), sunglasses, gloves, trekking poles, GPS, watch
- Katie’s Personal Gear: On my body- Altra Lone Peaks w/ insoles, Swiftwick socks, Boody athletic leggings, TechWick shirt, Boody sports bra, Boody underwear, Garmin Instinct watch. On my back- Osprey Backpack (44L) Big Agnes UL1 Rainfly & Poles, H2O Proof Compression Sack Sleeping Bag (10 degree quilt), sleep clothes (¾ zip top, leggings, Boody underwear, wool socks), North Face Tech Fleece, Nano pack towel, Buff Liner gloves, toothbrush & toothy tabs x12 Baby wipes x12, ear plugs, sleeping pad, stove kit & fuel (150 mL Nalgene alcohol bottle), Titanium spork, UL 22L daypack (w/ the following inside): rain jacket, mini first aid kit (leukotape, pepto tabs, benadryl, antidiarrheal, alcohol wipes, bandages, antibiotic ointment, non absorbent pads, safety pin, blister bandages, KT tape) compass map prints (doubles as journal paper) + mini pen, headlamp + spare batteries, hand sanitizer, bandana, Smartwater bottle w/ spare cap (transfer bottle when going day pack) 1.5L Water Bladder, Vitamin I, salt tabs, CBD (in hip pocket) UV chapstick, phone, sunglasses
- Food– (2 lb/day) Carnation Breakfast Essentials (w/ instant coffee & creatine & beetroot) Endurance granola (2/3 cup/day) Tailwind (x1 unflavored, x1 caffeinated/ day) Greenbelly meal Torts w/ cheese & jerky (1 serving per day) PB Squeeze (x4 servings/ day) Tailwind Recovery (x1/ day) Homemade dehydrated meals x6 Supplements: creatine, CBD, salt tabs, BCAA, booch tabs, pre-workout, multi-vitamin
- Calorie Breakdown: Tuna Veggie Mac & Cheese – 576 cal Thanksgiving Dinner – 710 cals Salsa Rice & Beans – 500 cals Shepherds Pie – 690 cals Endurance Granola – 250 cals/ half cup
- Recap Day 1: 9/10/20 Start: 10:15 am Seward: 1:11pm Donaldson: 1:44pm Emmons: 2:12pm Seymour: 6:04pm Camp: Duckhole lean-to (Arrived around 9 pm)
- Day 2: 9/11/20 Start: Duckhole lean-to 5 am Panther: 8:05am Couchsachraga: 9:09am Santanoni: 10:45am Allen:6:57pm Camp: Around 10 pm? Flowed Lands Tent Site
- Day 3: 9/12/20 Start: 5 am Lake Colden camp area: 7 am Marshall: 8:35am Iroquois: 10:07am Algonquin: 10:41am Wright: 11:24am Nye: 3:17pm Street: 3:47pm Phelps: 7:30pm Tabletop: 9:13pm Colden: 11:15pm Camp: 12:30 am Lake Colden Tent Site
- Day 4: 9/13/20 Start: 6 am Lake Colden camp area Cliff: 8:04am Redfield: 9:30am Gray: 11:45am Skylight: 12:41pm Marcy: 1:38pm Camp: Slant rock lean-to 4 pm
- Day 5: 9/14/20 Start: 6:52am Slant rock lean-to Haystack: 8:35am Basin: 9:48am Saddleback: 10:31am Sawteeth: 12:19pm Gothics: 1:38pm Armstrong: 2:07pm Upper Wolf Jaw: 2:50pm Lower Wolf Jaw: 4:01pm End: Camp 7 pm? Lower Elk Pass Tent Site
- Day 6: 9/15/20 Start: 5 am Colvin: 6:49am Blake: 8:00am Nippletop: 11:25am Dial: 12:37pm Dix: 3:56pm Hough: 4:57pm South Dix: 5:42pm Macomb: 6:23pm Grace: 7:39pm Camp: 10 pm? Upper Bouquet River Tent Site
- Day 7: 9/16/20 Start: 5 am Giant: 9:45am Rocky Peak Ridge: 10:47am Big Slide: 6:56pm Porter: 11:03pm Cascade: 11:37pm Camp: 1 am Base of Cascade 150 feet off trail Day 8: 9/17/20 Start: 4:45 am Whiteface: 11:48am Esther: 1:10pm End: 3:05pm ASRC Parking Lot