Bernie Sanders’ mittens went viral recently (and we couldn’t resist joining in on the fun). But it turns out Vermonters aren’t the only ones who appreciate warm mittens. I’ve had a pair of cosy ones for years, handmade from recycled wool by Charlotte Besaw of Hand Candy Mittens. Located in Mannsville (Jefferson County), just outside the Blue Line, Charlotte’s mittens can be found at outlets all around the park. And looking at her Facebook page, she is also having fun with all the recent attention to big, bulky mittens.
Keep scrolling to see more of this week’s winners….
Message from our publisher: Due to delays plaguing the US Postal Service, some subscribers have not yet received their issue of the January/February Adirondack Explorer magazine. As the post office catches up with the backlog, we offer you access to the PDF version of the magazine for you to read as you wait for the print copy to arrive.
If you are interested in receiving the PDF version digitally, send your name and email address to email@example.com. (Note: This offer is available to any active subscriber, not just the ones experiencing delays.)
The week’s top stories
PANDEMIC PLUSSES: While the pain of COVID-19 is wide-reaching all across our economy, there are some businesses that fared well. Especially this past summer, with the flood of visitors to the Adirondacks. See who reported having the “best season ever.” READ MORE
WINTER FIRE TOWER HIKES: Outdoor recreation continues to trend upward through the winter months, which we’ll be reporting on in an upcoming web story. This week’s round up of five fire tower hikes that make good winter outings was the top story of the week for the Explorer. READ MORE
WHERE IS THE NORTH COUNTRY?: Just for fun, we’ve embarked on a discussion of what places come to mind when you hear “North Country,” which has become the top post of the week in the Almanack. READ MORE
- Adirondack groups call for more forest preserve funds and rangers
- Lake George neighbors want to protect crystalline waters when nature calls
- Forest preserve off the table for additional Army training, say ad hoc committee members
- CCE Essex receives $385k USDA grant to expand local food buying
- Adirondack Communities: Workforce Training
- In a flash, an Olympic dream derailed
- Adirondack survey seeks feedback from potential residents
- What’s in the state budget for the Adirondacks?
- Cultivating a love of composting