FacebookTwitterInstagram Youtube
Adirondack Explorer

11 Responses

1. Mark Barbour says:

I helped to find a plane wreck on Blue ridge near Lewey Lake about 15 years ago. It was a C45 that crashed on a low level training flight in September of 1944. It took 5 times up the mountain to find it. The wings engines, propellers were all still there. Three pilots from Syracuse Air base were lost in that crash. I would like to go back up there again soon. I have lots of photos of our find.

2. I think this speaks volumes of the character in reference to DEC Officer Van Laer who looks for the sites, he often seeks out surviving relatives to see if they have any interest in visiting the wrecks. I am certain the family’s are extremely grateful. Such an honorable thing he does to ease other’s heartache. Thank You for your service and your kindness. – See more at: http://www.adirondackexplorer.org/stories/dean-of-plane-wrecks#sthash.dK3VohWC.mjGPyvnC.dpuf

3. Phil says:

My wife’s family had this experience in 1969 when her Uncle, William Reiner took off from Roquette Lake in a float plane and crashed into Davis Mountain, between Indian Lake and North Creek. It was around July 29, 1969. He was on the way to his niece’s Christening. We are curious where that wreckage may be….

4. Jeff says:

My friends and I came across this wreck (or a wreck) while climbing the Seward’s so Thanksgiving weekend in the late 80s? Before mobile phones,GPS or the Internet.I might have a photo of the wreck somewhere. We were some hundreds of feet below the summit ridge in the snow. Best of luck finding it.

5. Emily says:

We came across this wreckage right after the 1998 Labor Day storm. We got lost going up the herd path due to the severe storm damage. I was only a teenager, however my dad likely knows exactly where it is, feel free to contact us.

6. Peter says:

In September 1999 I and several others were heading to Seward when we lost the herd path and wandered toward the northeast shoulder of Seward. As we bushwhacked to the southwest to pick up the path near the ridge line we came upon the wreckage of a small plane. We found no evidence of human remains, only a single shoe amidst the rubble. It seemed like the accident had happened some time ago as the area was quite overgrown. I think I can come pretty close to identifying where this wreck is and would be glad to talk to Scott about it.

7. Doug Keith says:

I stumbled onto that small plane wreckage with the shoe also. I have been curious about who crashed, and when, but I have never found any information on it. I could find it again too.

• Philip Vander Molen says:

How far into the woods is the site and is it accessible from Jessup/Mud Lake Road or is there a better way in?

8. mike says:

Hello, I am looking to contact an individual with information pertaining to past ADK plane crash sites. I am currently in the process of creating a detailed map of these sites.
    Let me know.