It’s been almost seven months since I took on the role as editor for the Adirondack Almanack and almost one month in my new job as digital editor for both the Almanack and Explorer.
I welcome your feedback and suggestions, and if you are not too “zoomed” out, join me for a “coffee and conversation” session this coming Monday (bring your own coffee). We’re keeping the gathering small, so if you can’t get into this one, there will likely be more to come.
One issue that’s popped up a few times this week in the online community of the Almanack is that of fairness and balance. Whether that’s about the ongoing debate around hiker permits or a controversial pregnancy center, I’ve heard from readers who want to ensure all sides of a topic are given equal treatment and all voices are heard.
This seems like a great opportunity to remind everyone that the Almanack is your forum. The vast majority of content is submitted by individuals who take the time to share their research, or craft a commentary. So if you see something that’s missing in the conversations, I encourage you to contribute. Contact me to get started.
All this week we’re digging into renewable/clean energy issues, highlighting recent Explorer stories. Each day will focus on a different topic:
- Monday: Key takeaways from New York State’s groundbreaking climate legislation
- Tuesday: Our live event and discussion
- Wednesday: Recent park projects
- Thursday: Renewables and the APA
- Friday: Wood/biomass
Read the stories and spark a conversation about the future of renewable energy in the park.
Despite the continuing presence of COVID-19, Gov. Andrew Cuomo recently gave the green light to the reopening of two businesses that have been closed since the pandemic began: Movie theaters and ski resorts. READ MORE
(Shown here: the Palace Theatre in Lake Placid. Photo by Mike Lynch/Explorer.)
EMPIRE STATE WINTER GAMES: The 2021 games have been canceled. READ MORE
Recent news headlines
- Lost hikers in Hamilton County and other rescues
- Government agencies in pandemic: Lack of connection, transparency
- High Peaks Advisory Group meeting reports still not available
- Upper Saranac Foundation seeks help in shoring up dam
- Eastern Red Bat sighting
- History of Mt. Matumbla: The highest point in St. Lawrence Co.
- DEC: Be on the lookout for moose sightings this fall