Event coming up Sept. 21 at Essex County Fairgrounds
The nonprofit Adirondack Harvest is hosting a harvest-themed festivals featuring food, farmers, and fun, taking place Saturday, Sept. 21 at the Essex County Fairgrounds in Westport.
The night before, on Friday, Sept. 20, a special Long Table Dinner is planned. Hosted by DaCy Meadow Farm and featuring Paul Smith’s College Chef Kevin McCarthy and his students, guests will enjoy a five course meal using local ingredients sourced from area farms. $80/person. To RSVP, email DaCy Meadow Farm at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 518-962-8339.
The full day’s event on Saturday begins with a hike at 10 a.m. with the Champlain Area Trails (CATS). The approximately 2 hour roundtrip hike begins and ends at the Essex County Fairgrounds. Meet at the Fairground’s main entrance and hike Viall’s Crossing Trail (5 miles). $10/per person, kids under 18 free.
The main event starts at noon, with free admission into the Fairgrounds.
- A FARMERS’ MARKET with over 30 regional agricultural vendors (12 to 4 pm)
- FOOD TRUCKS: Papa Duke’s BBQ; Lomelis Mexican Food; Full Cord Pizza; Honey Pie & Farmers Cone Creamery
- MUSIC: Ploughman’s Lunch; William Lee Ellis & Steve Feinbloom duo; DJ Sam
- BREWERS & VINTNERS: Ausable Brewing Co.; Livingood’s Brewery; Hid-In-Pines Vineyard
- TALKS: Conservation & Farming with Holly Rippon-Butler of the Young Farmers’ Coalition; Beekeeping with Tim McGarry of Boquet Valley Farm; Pollinators with Brittany Christenson of ADK Action; and Local Brewing Forum with Matt Brankman of Ledge Hill Brewing Co. and Matt Ray of Livingood’s Restaurant and Brewery
- DEMONSTRATIONS: Flax Processing & Spinning with Mary Heald of Sylvanbrook Spinnery; Cider Pressing with Jori Wekin of Hub on the Hill; and Draft Horse Logging with Chad Vogel at Reber Rock Farm Lumber and Flooring
- ACTIVITIES: Draft Horse Brushing; Draft Horse Wagon Rides
- WORKSHOPS (small fee, includes take-home items): Herbal Tea Blending with Christine O’Loughlin of Heron’s Hollow; and Shiitake Log Cultivation with Carly Summers of CCE Essex
- CONTESTS (Prizes included!) Container Gardening Contest with Essex County Master Gardener Volunteers; Straw Bale Toss Contest; Hula Hoop Contest (bring your own hula hoop!)
- KIDS’ ACTIVITIES (small fee for some): Pony Rides, Face Painting; Goat Petting; Beet Print Making & Art Show; Mr. ‘Bagahead; Seed Collages; Sack Races and other contests.
Music and beer tent continue to 6 p.m. More info available at https://adirondackharvest.com/adirondack-harvest-festival/