About Gwendolyn Craig

Gwen covers environmental policy in the Adirondacks. Contact her at (518) 524-2902 or gwen@adirondackexplorer.org. You can also follow her on Twitter, @gwendolynnn1.

Reader Interactions

Comments

1. Contrarian says

Maybe Adirondacks legislators should worry about the consequences of NOT having clean air and water, in a region where the private sector economy is almost entirely based on outdoor tourism.

2. Scott says

Define: clean

My automobile puts out exhaust. I am now depriving everyone other New Yorker of clean air. My 1000 cow cattle farm produces tons of methane a year from the animals, again – air pollution. My septic tank has a leach field where the liquids flow into. Eventually that hits the water table. I am now depriving any neighbors using a well of cleanest water possible. Your municipal government uses salt and sand in the winter on its roads. That runoff goes into streams, rivers, and lakes. You can now sue the state and town for an unlimited amount of money because that water and soil is now contaminated.

See the potential problems now?

3. Gary Broderick says

This Green Amendment is no different than a politician promising ‘I’m going to do good things’ but not providing any definition of what good they are going to do. I’d love to see concrete ideas instead of setting this up for New Yorkers to vote on a ‘Concept’. This will allow groups to sue on everything that goes on in this state because there is no guidelines to what it means…….which means the courts will decide what it means, not the people of the state. That is a bad idea.

4. Dominic Jacangelo says

I keep trying to get my arms around exactly what this provision would do? I know that it must do something since some groups are pushing so hard for it. All I can see is that the provision will create another cause of action for lawyers to challenge decisions that have been made consistent with SEQRA.
    Please give me one example of where this provision would have made a difference and I could change my mind.

5. Ja says

It sounds like a bunch of people dont want to be seen as liable for polluting and well that’s the point. You are liable and you should be concerned. You can miss me on the excuses, we need a green new deal NOW!

6. Tom Paine says

A serious scary piece of legislation. Very unclear definitions of dirty and clean. Leaves decisions open to unelected Albany bureaucrats and their Environmental lobbyists buddies. Far to much control to Albany.